Length = 1 week
This lesson prepares you to make a budget by introducing the concept of using a pie chart. Most good household budgets have categories with similar percentages, such as a home loan payment is about 33% of total income. You will explore different budgets, and learn how to improve your budget.
- Calculate percents
- Use percents to construct a pie charts
- Review calculating payments
- Set up a budget based on income and expenses
- Compare personal expenses with typical published budget amounts
Can you really afford to buy that new outfit? Learn to set up a budget based on income.
There is an easy to view where your money is going. Learn how to create a pie chart based on actual budgets.
Hints & Helps
- Talk with their parents about their family budget.
- You may want to make a pie chart based on their family’s budget.
- This is a good time to see why you may be struggling keeping money in your account.
- Throughout the week, look for cheaper bills and to redo their food menus.
- Try making Pie Charts on a spreadsheet.